Monday, January 11, 2010

Could a cat do this? I think not.

Okay, something substantial too. A dog that recognizes over 340 words:

A seven-year-old dog in Austria called Betsy has amazed scientists by being able to recognise more than 340 words.

Most dogs can recognise about 15 commands.

Betsy's skills were recorded as part of the BBC's science programme Horizon.

It examined the increase in scientific investigations into canines, their unique relationships with people, and how they are helping to identify the causes of some human diseases.

from the BBC

It reminded me a little of the story of Clever Hans, but it is not quite the same. Murphy, my Australian terrier, does not know so many words. I think all he knows are treat, walk, Murphy, and the generic sound of food being prepared in the kitchen. I wonder what makes Betsy such an outlier. Probably some combination of breeding and intense training, I suppose.

Regardless, the “The Secret Life of the Dog,” linked to from the BBC site is definitely worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment